A comfort food staple. A childhood favorite. An adult guilty pleasure. We’re talking about macaroni and cheese!
For mac ‘n’ cheese lovers everywhere, you’ve got to try out this fiber-ful, vegan recipe. A creamy avocado-based sauce holds the macaroni together as nutritional yeast gives it that cheesy flavor. The whole recipe takes only about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- 8 oz whole-grain macaroni or elbow pasta
- 1 avocado, large ripe
- 1C basil, loosely packed leaves
- ¼ C cilantro
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 ¾ C almond/ Non dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika, smoked
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- Add avocado, basil, cilantro, and lemon juice to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. If not using a high speed blender, you may need to pulse a few times. Set avocado sauce aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain cooked pasta, and return to the pot.
- While pasta cooks, prepare the sauce base. Sauté minced garlic in measured olive oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in flour and whisk to combine, ensuring no lumps form. Slowly add in almond milk a little at a time and whisk constantly over medium high heat. Add garlic powder and paprika at this time if so desired. Sauce will thicken quickly (over high heat). Add nutritional yeast now, or to your own liking once plated. Once thickened, remove from heat, after about 2 minutes.
- Pour avocado mixture into sauce base and whisk to combine the two. Taste and add salt or more nutritional yeast if needed. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir through to combine. Serve immediately.